NOMAD Bouldering Neighbour Initiative
We think climbing is for all and that everyone has the right to be part of a community that they can challenge themselves and grow within. From the ground up this is the ethos of NOMAD Bouldering, to create space for people to be their best. However with any business model there are certain limitations in terms of expense and we know that membership fees can be a barrier for entry to people. For this reason we are introducing the Neighbour Initiative Membership Program. This program is designed to provide lower cost membership to members of our community who consistently face financial hardship that makes holding a gym membership difficult.
Specifically we are aiming (but not limiting) to provide membership access to minority groups from our community, whether they be First Nations people, POC, LGBTQ+ people, as well as any other members in our community that are dealing with extenuating financial hardship. The Neighbour Initiative Membership Program is one of the steps we are taking to improve diversity and inclusivity in climbing.
Here’s the low down:
- 5 new Neighbour Initiative Memberships will become available each month. If you apply after the 5 memberships have been allocated for that month you will simply go on the waitlist for the following month.
- Neighbour Initiative Memberships are distributed on a first come, first served basis to those who complete the application webform.
- Each applicant chooses between two Neighbour Initiative Membership tiers in their application based on their financial need:
- $15/per Week
- $20/per Week
- Neighbour Initiative Memberships last for 12 months and can be cancelled* or suspended** at any time free of charge. If a membership is cancelled the next person on the waitlist will be able to take that membership for a 12 month period.
- At the conclusion of your 12 month membership you can either transfer onto a normal membership or reapply and you will be placed on the waitlist.
Neighbour Initiative Memberships include gear hire as we know that climbing gear is another large barrier to entry so each visit you will get chalk and shoe hire as part of the membership.
*Cancellations must be made with 5 days notice and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
**Suspensions will be counted towards the 12 month limit to make sure people waiting for a membership are not denied one.
Please make sure you include the following details as part of your application:
- First & last name
- Email address
- Membership Tier (either $15/per Week or $20/per Week)
- Do you identify as Aboriginal, Torre Strait Islander, or a Person of Colour? (Your answer to this question is for informational purposes only and will not affect your application status)
- Any additional information